Today is a big day, this day exactly one year ago Morrie&Me launched its very first blogpost. And as you guys know, throughout the year many more have followed.
Looking back on my first year as a blogger, I’m actually quite proud of the fact that I really did make it to end of it. Even though I never considered to quit this whole project, I cannot deny making enough time for blogging has been hard at times.
Setting up a new blog, finding out how to work with wordpress, how to give your blog the look and feel you’ve envisioned and then stay motivated and inspired to keep creating new content is quite something. I think you really need to be dedicated to keep going, otherwise it’s not going to work out.
Having mentioned the hard part, you guys might wonder why one would keep blogging at all… Well, every time something does work out the way you hoped, it motivates you. Every time somebody gives you positive feedback, it lifts you up. Every time you surprise yourself with what you’re capable of, you can’t wait to make the next review, illustration, moodboard or what else is on your mind.
To celebrate this milestone I decided to select the 5 posts that are my own, personal favorites of this first year. Easier said then done though ‘cause I love them all for many different reasons, but here we go:
- Portrait – Nina Simone: Nina Simone is a heroine to me. Although she was not an easy person, I really admire her attitude and self-esteem. Such a strong, black woman with a beautiful voice singing these intense songs, really is an inspiration! When drawing a portrait it can be a struggle to capture someone’s personality, but when it does work out like with Nina’s, the drawing really comes alive.
- Book review – Strange Medicine: one of this year’s highlights was to be contacted by Strange Books (book publisher from Brighton, UK) whether I’d be interested in reviewing one of their books. Reading this book got me out of my ‘comfort zone’, since I probably wouldn’t have chosen it myself. The best part: I really had a lot of fun reading and reviewing this unusual book.
- The House Project – Moodboard our Kitchen: although it still takes a couple more months before we can finally move into our new home, all the big decisions have been made and now we can focus on the smaller ones. My moodboards give a sneak preview into the look and feel of our future home.
- Documentary – Minimalism: I’ve never been a materialistic person and try to find happiness and fulfillment in other ways than consumption. Watching documentaries and reading books about people living an a minimalistic lifestyle can be very inspiring to keep focus on the things that really matter.
- Birth Announcement Coco: a commission that opened up doors to a new world; the world of babies and kids design. And there is so much more for me to find out. So in case you’re looking for a unique, one of a kind birth announcement or kids-design whatsoever, feel free to contact me. I would love to design something beautiful for your kid(s) too!
Looking back on this year’s accomplishments, fills me with pride and gives energy to keep further developing this wonderful project. Starting off with a Morrie&Me Facebook and Twitter account, both launched this weekend. And more exciting things are about to happen, so stay tuned because this first year of Morrie&Me is only the beginning!